Madison Avenue Pub aka “The Maddy”
I’m skipping my normal rating system on this one and just going for a list of pros and cons.
- 6 pubs, so there’s lots of space and lots of choice (including a pretty spacious outdoor patio with decent shade)
- Cold beer and other pretty cheap drinks (the prices are lower during the day than at night)
- Half priced appetizers daily 3-7pm, plus other specials
- It’s open (every day- I mean every day)
- The food meets the bare minimum standards for acceptable bar quality, some of the time. The freezer-to-fryer stuff is somewhat edible (e.g. McCains french fries and sweet potato fries, deep fried spring rolls, onion rings) but anything beyond that starts to get sketchy. Sometimes REALLY sketchy (e.g. really mouldy cheese). My entire table of people got a stomach ache last time I went.
- The servers can be intermittent, absent, or just kind of disinterested.
- I’ve never actually gone here at night, just for after-work drinks. Although I know it gets really busy, I can’t imagine it having much to offer me as a non-student who has no particularly interest in meeting people and who wants to keep her stomach contents in her stomach. (Also, apparently there are huge lines at night and they ID everyone- doesn’t sound much fun.)
Is it recommended? You decide! I might be back for drinks, but NO FOOD again for me.
If you want even more exhaustive opinions, Yelp pretty much has it on lock.